This is one of several occupations that fall under the general title, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN). Other job titles are Nurse Anesthetist, Clinical Nurse Specialist, and Nurse Midwife.
Nurse practitioners work in a variety of specialty areas including Acute Care, Gerontology Health, Oncology, Women’s Health, Neonatal Health, Psychiatric and Mental Health, and Pediatric/Child Health. NPs also work in sub-specialties like Cardiovascular, Hematology and Oncology, Neurology, Sports Medicine, and Urology.
Nurse Practitioner Duties & Responsibilities
- Record symptoms
- Make diagnoses
- Develop a treatment plan that may include medication and other therapies
- Provide patient education to promote habits that will prevent diseases and maintain good health
- Collaborate with other healthcare providers, including physicians and nurses
- Order and interpret laboratory test results
As primary healthcare providers, nurse practitioners help patients maintain good health and treat their illnesses. This requires taking into account their health histories and any symptoms they are experiencing. Laboratory tests provide supplemental information that will alert them to abnormalities that may not be revealed through a conversation with the patient or physical examination.
像所有人一样healthcare professionals, NPs don’t consider their job done when a patient leaves the office. Outcomes are an important aspect of their practice. It is essential to determine whether the treatments they administered or recommended are effective.
Nurse practitioners earn a higher年薪中位数比其他的医疗诊断和治疗practitioners. Their pay varies based on location and experience.
- 年薪中位数：$ 107,030
- 最高10％的年薪：超过$ 150,320
- 最低10％的年薪：不到$ 78,300
Education, Training, & Certification
Before one can begin preparing to become a nurse practitioner, he or she must be licensed to practice as a注册护士（RN）. That requires earning a bachelor’s or associate degree, or a diploma in nursing and getting a state-issued license. While most graduate programs prefer to admit candidates who have a bachelor’s degree, some offer a bridge program to those who have an associate or diploma in nursing.
- 护理实践中的硕士或博士学位：Most people enter this profession by completing a Master’s Degree in Nursing Practice, but some choose to get a Doctorate in Nursing Practice (DNP) or a Ph.D. Master’s or Doctoral candidates receive advanced clinical education through classroom and clinical instruction. Coursework varies according to the specialty, but usually includes advanced pathophysiology, pharmacology, and health assessment; health information technology; and leadership.
- NP许可证：All states and the District of Columbia require nurse practitioners to be licensed. One must have a state-issued RN license and a master’s degree or doctorate in nursing practice. It is also necessary to pass a national certification exam for the population or specialty in which he or she is trained.
- 沟通技巧：要与患者和同事交流，护士从业人员需要出色listening,speaking, and人际交往能力. They must be able to understand what their patients are telling them, clearly communicate instructions, and build and maintain a trusting relationship.
- 解决问题:Based on clinical interviews, physical examinations, and lab test results, NPs must identify diseases and other health conditions. After making diagnoses, they need to produce treatment plans.
- Critical Thinking:When developing a treatment plan, an NP must be able to evaluate various options to treat a condition and then identify the one he or she decides will have the best outcome.
- Leadership Skills:NP通常管理医疗团队的其他成员，例如RNS和有执照的实践护士（LPN）。
The BLS cites several factors that contribute to this outstanding growth. They include an aging population of baby boomers and an emphasis on preventative healthcare. In addition, many states are allowing nurse practitioners to perform a wider variety of services, which has led to more patients seeking them out.
Source:Bureau of Labor Statistics，2017年
Most nurse practitioners have full-time jobs. Some work evenings, weekends, and holidays, and some—particularly those who work in critical care or obstetrics—are required to be on call to respond to emergencies.
Comparing Similar Jobs
Individuals who are considering becoming a nurse practitioner may also consider these other healthcare professions:
Source:Bureau of Labor Statistics，2017年