首席信息官(CIO)是一个主管that oversees the information technology (IT) needs of a company. But that doesn’t mean they’re the IT director. In fact, many CIOs are starting to distance themselves from operational responsibilities. The skillset and responsibilities are very different from what they were a decade or two ago, and the role continues to adapt to the changing face of the modern business enterprise.
这role is sometimes referred to as Chief Technology Officer (CTO), but on paper, slight differences in the two positions exist. Here are the main functions of a CIO:
- 管理和发展team personnel.
- Approve vendor negotiations and IT architecture.
CIOs are a crucial part of an enterprise’s digital transformation. Cloud computing, big data analytics, mobile computing, and collaboration platforms pose new challenges for CIOs. And AI, the Internet of Things, and digital disruption are having more influence on the direction of consumer products. With these technologies in the driver’s seat, the CIO is less concerned with running the IT department. Focus has shifted to service analysis, data security, and market reach.
- 平均年薪：$ 159,200
- Top 10% Annual Salary：$ 249,000
- 最低10％年薪：$ 94,000
- Education：CIOs often have an IT background, with college degrees in computer science,软件工程， 或者信息系统。课程可能包括计算机编程，软件开发，数学和业务。许多雇主还喜欢候选人拥有工商管理硕士（MBA）。
- 经验：经验is an important factor to gain a role at this level. Employers usually prefer at least 5 years’ experience in IT management. Moreover, business acumen is a must. That’s why the current tendency is for CIOs to be promoted from business departments rather than IT.
- 改变管理技能：Companies must adapt to advances in technology in order to succeed, and CIOs are at the forefront of helping them do this.
CIOs generally work full time, and about one-third of them work more than 40 hours per week,according to the BLS。
People who are interested in a career as a CIO may also consider other careers with these median salaries: